Waking the Fallen was highly acclaimed. It received a positive profile in Billboard, with the magazine comparing Avenged Sevenfold to bands like NOFX, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. In other profiles, the album also received comparisons to the Misfits and further comparisons to Iron Maiden. "Chapter Four" was featured in video games such as NASCAR Thunder 2004, Madden NFL 04, and NHL 04, which helped the band get recognized and sign a contract with Warner Bros. Records.
The record continues the metalcore sound the band had used on their previous album, Sounding the Seventh Trumpet, but features noticeably more clean vocals. Being the first release by the band to include guitarist Brian Haner, Jr., the record also features some guitar solos. The record is notable among fans due to Matthew Sanders' slightly higher pitch in his voice and high notes he sings in both songs like "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1" and "I Won't See You Tonight Part 2". The album also leans towards heavy metal and punk rock.
- "Waking the Fallen"
- "Unholy Confessions"
- "Chapter Four"
- "Desecrate Through Reverance"
- "Eternal Rest"
- "Second Heartbeat"
- "Radiant Eclipse"
- "I Won't See You Tonight Part 1"
- "I Won't See You Tonight Part 2"
- "Clairvoyant Disease"
- "And All Things Will End"
- Matthew Sanders/M. Shadow - lead vocals
- Brian Haner, Jr./Synyster Gates - lead guitar and backing vocals
- Jonathan Seward/Johnny Christ - bass guitar
- Zachary Baker/Zacky Vengeance - rhythm guitar and backing vocals
- James Sullivan/The Rev - drums and backing vocals
- Produced and Mixed by Andrew Murdock
- Co-Produced by Fred Archambault
- Mastered by Tom Baker
- Assistant Engineering by Fred Archambault and Ai Fujisaki
- Orchestral Arrangements and Performance by Scott Gilman