Writing and RecordingEdit
As I Lay Dying began writing songs for The Powerless Rise in mid 2009 following two years of touring for the band's 2007 album An Ocean Between Us. By the end of September, the group had finished "about 6-7" songs and was scheduled to enter the studio on October 17, 2009 where they would continue to write new songs. This is in contrast to previous albums by As I Lay Dying that had been written over the course of only a few months. The three years between the release of An Ocean Between Us and The Powerless Rise has been the largest gap between releases from the band to date. Vocalist Tim Lambesis stated that while some bands "need to rush out a crappy record so they can start touring again to pay their bills," As I Lay Dying had been working hard to "make a record worth listening to (hopefully), and start touring again when we're done."
The Powerless Rise was produced by Killswitch Engage guitarist Adam Dutkiewicz and Daniel Castelman, and was mixed by Colin Richardson and Martyn Ford. Adam Dutkiewicz also produced As I Lay Dying's An Ocean Between Us. According to guitarist Phil Sgrosso, Dutkiewicz was chosen over ten other producers the band had talked with after "realizing that Adam understands our sound better than most." Castelman and Richardson were also audio engineers on An Ocean Between Us.
- "Beyond Our Suffering"
- "Anodyne Sea"
- "Without Conclusion"
- "The Plague"
- "Anger and Apathy"
- "Upside Down Kingdom"
- "The Only Constant Is Change"
- "The Blinding of False Light"
iTunes Pre-order Bonus TrackEdit
- "Condemned" (Gunfight Mix)
As I Lay DyingEdit
- Tim Lambesis - unclean vocals
- Nick Hipa - lead guitar
- Josh Gilbert - bass guitar and clean vocals
- Phil Sgrosso - rhythm guitar
- Jordan Mancino - drums
- Produced by Adam Dutkiewicz and As I Lay Dying
- Mastered by Ted Jensen
- Mixed by Colin Richardson and Martyn Ford
- Engineered by Adam Dutkiewicz and Daniel Castleman
- Additional Vocal Engineering and Editing by Joseph McQueen
- Album Art by Jacob Bannon