Shadows Are Security is the third studio album by American metalcore band As I Lay Dying, released on June 14, 2005 through Metal Blade Records. A Limited Edition was released on June 23, 2005 with a bonus dvd of a show filmed at the Substage Club in Karlsruhe, Germany on November 28, 2004. The CD was released again as a Special Edition on October 17, 2006 with a DVD on the making of the album and included videos of Confined, Through Struggle, and The Darkest Nights. It also featured additional linear notes from vocalist Tim Lambesis on the concept of the record and little known facts on the making of the album. The album peaked at #35 on the US Billboard 200 and sold as of 2007, about 275 000 copies. Although Clint Norris was the bassist when this album was recorded, he is not featured on the album on either bass or vocals. Phil Sgrosso is credited with recording bass on the album. Norris still performed with the band at live shows during his time as bassist, and even appeared in all three music videos from the album. The song "Illusions" is a re-recording of the song "Illusion" from the band's split album with American Tragedy.
- "Meaning in Tragedy"
- "Losing Sight"
- "The Darkest Nights"
- "Empty Hearts"
- "Repeating Yesterday"
- "Through Struggle"
- "The Truth of My Perception"
- "Control Is Dead" (featuring Dan Weyandt of Zao)
- "Morning Waits"
- "Illusions" (featuring Jason Moody of No Innocent Victim)
Limited Edition Bonus DVDEdit
- "Falling Upon Deaf Ears"
- "94 Hours"
- "A Thousand Steps"
- "Distance Is Dead"
As I Lay DyingEdit
- Tim Lambesis - unclean vocals
- Nick Hipa - lead guitar
- Phil Sgrosso - rhythm and bass guitars and clean vocals
- Jordan Mancino - drums
- Dan Weyandt - vocals on track 10
- Jason Moody - vocals on track 12
- Matt Mentley - additional guitar on tracks 1 and 2
- Dave Arthur - additional clean vocals
- Produced and Engineered by Steve Russell
- Mastered and Mixed by Andy Sneap
- Pre-production by Kevin Puig
- Editing by Danny De La Isla
- A&R by Brian Slagel and Michael Faley
- Artwork and Design by Jacob Bannon
- Photography by Kevin Estrada